Monday, September 12, 2011

First Day of Schule

As I mentioned before, J & G are enrolled at an American school on base, but they were selected to be a part of a German immersion classroom. They are taught half the day in German and half the day in English. J attends a second grade only class and G attends a multi age class of first through third graders. She will have the same teacher for all three years {and we love him, so that is a big bonus!} The first day of first grade is a big deal for German children. It is a grand celebration and a big moment to enter this grade. In honor of this German tradition, G's teacher had a celebration on the first day of school and the class presented all the first graders with a Schultute, which is a cardboard cone filled with treats and school supplies. This tradition has been carried out in Germany for over 200 years. The older children in the class also put on a play entirely in German! They have only had German for 1 to 2 years. I was amazed and so excited for my children to learn German!

1 comment:

Tami Allred said...

what a fun way to start school. I hope you wrote down all these kids names somewhere on this school pic. My mom did that for one of my early years and I know I wouldn't have remembered them had she not done that. Brought back great memories.